Suicide ignites clashes in tense Tunisian town
Tunis: Police in a central Tunisian town fired tear gas at stone-throwing protesters after simmering tensions linked to unemployment erupted after a demonstrator committed suicide on Wednesday night.
The victim was a 24-year-old jobless protester who was electrocuted after announcing he wanted to end his life and mounting a high-voltage electricity pole in the town of Sidi Bouzid, Attia Athmouni of the PDP opposition party said.
The state news agency TAP reported the suicide and said the government ordered a judicial inquiry.
The suicide angered young protesters, who hurled stones at police and were met by volleys of tear gas. Protesters in a nearby town set an administrative building on fire, said Mohamed Ben Fadhel, a local leader of a teachers` union.
Sidi Bouzid was the site of protests in recent days following a suicide attempt by a fruit and vegetable merchant whose merchandise was seized by local authorities. It is about 265 kilometres (165 miles) south of the capital Tunis.
The 26-year-old merchant, who tried to set himself on fire, has a university diploma but has been unable to find work other than as a street merchant, according to opposition politicians. The high level of unemployment in the region, including among people with diplomas, has been at the heart of the tensions.
Such overt clashes are rare in Tunisia, a popular tourist destination on the Mediterranean where the government brooks little dissent and is routinely criticised for its human rights record.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- HEINOUS: 30-year-old man rapes 4-year-old; DCW chief asks 'when will Delhi be rape free'
- Vijay Mallya's loan default case: DRT to resume hearing on UBHL's plea countering banks
- German bar attacker Syrian, had psychiatric problems
- SHOCKING: When Narsingh Yadav was caught cheating in a Maharashtra police exam!
- Delhi again failed her Nirbhaya, says DCW chief as 14-year-old Dalit rape victim dies