Sun`s royal editor charged with conspiracy
London: Three people, including a senior editor at Rupert Murdoch`s tabloid The Sun has been charged with conspiracy to commit misconduct in a public office after allegedly paying more than 23,000 pound for stories relating to the Royal family or military academy Sandhurst.
Sun journalist Duncan Larcombe is charged with a conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office, along with John and Claire Hardy, the CPS said.
Tracey Bell has been charged with misconduct in public office.
They will appear before Westminster Magistrates` Court on 8 May.
In a statement, the Crown Prosecution Service said John Hardy had served as a colour sergeant at the Royal Military Academy, where British army officers are trained.
"It is alleged that from 10 February 2006 to 15 October 2008, 34 payments were made to either John Hardy or Claire Hardy totalling over 23,000 for stories relating mainly to the Royal Family or matters at Sandhurst," it said.
"In addition we have concluded that Tracy Bell should be charged with one count of misconduct in public office. Tracy Bell was employed by the Ministry of Defence as a pharmacy assistant at Sandhurst Medical Centre.
"It is alleged that Tracy Bell received 1,250 between 17 October 2005 and 7 July 2006 relating to five articles published in The Sun regarding matters at Sandhurst."
It added that there was insufficient evidence to charge a second member of the public with any criminal offence.
The charges come after a former police officer has been arrested as part of the investigation into alleged illegal payments by journalists to public officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation