Superstorm: US rejects aid offer from Hafiz Saeed
Washington: The US on Wednesday dismissed as "hollow" the offer of humanitarian aid for superstorm victims from JuD chief Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, the 2008 Mumbai attacks mastermind and for whom the US has offered a bounty of USD 10 million.
"As you all well know, Saeed is believed to be behind organising the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attack in which 166 people were killed, including six Americans. That is why he is actually now the subject of a Rewards for Justice programme," State Department spokesman Mark Toner told reporters.
"Furthermore, both the United States and the United Nations has designated his organisation, Jamaat-ud-Dawa, a terrorist organisation," he said.
So while we have great respect, obviously, for the Islamic tradition of social assistance to those who are in need, no matter where they might be, this particular offer strikes us as very hollow," Toner said in response to a question on the offer of humanitarian assistance from Saeed for the victims of the hurricane Sandy.
On Tuesday, Hafiz Saeed said his organisation was ready to help Americans affected by the superstorm Sandy.
"We are ready to send food items, medicines and doctors to the US for the people affected by the storm," Saeed has said.
Saeed was placed under house arrest for less than six months after the Mumbai attacks, largely due to pressure from the world community. He was freed in 2009 on the orders of the Lahore High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'