Suspected Boko Haram Islamists kill 7 in northeast Nigeria
Kano: Suspected Boko Haram Islamists disguised in army uniforms killed seven people in an attack near the northeastern border with Cameroon, residents said on Monday.
The gunmen, five of whom were also killed, razed a police station and a military camp during the late Sunday attack in the restive region, which has been among the hardest hit areas during Boko Haram`s five-year uprising.
"The gunmen split into three groups and launched simultaneous attacks on the military camp, the police station and other buildings in the village," said Abor Grema, a resident of the targeted Krenuwa village in Marte district.
Marte was one of the areas in Borno state where Boko Haram chased out the government last year, forcing President Goodluck Jonathan to declare a state of emergency in the region while launching a military offensive to crush the uprising.
Six residents were shot dead during Sunday`s raid, while a member of a local vigilante force which has formed to help the military was also killed, said Grema.
His account was supported by other witnesses including Musa Bulama, who said the gunmen torched homes, a police station, a military camp, homes and shops.
"Five of (the Islamists) were killed and five others were captured," during fierce gun battles that followed the raid, according to Bulama.
A vigilante was "dragged from his home and slaughtered... on the streets" by extremists who returned to Krenuwa later in the night to seek revenge against locals who had fought with the military.
Police and military spokesmen were not immediately available to comment on the attack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- No separate guidelines for defence PSUs on JVs: Govt
- Arvind Kejriwal says PM Narendra Modi can even get him killed; now, BJP's reaction is interesting - READ
- Monsanto case: CCI rejects pleas seeking review of probe order
- Man who tried to assassinate Ronald Reagan in 1981 to be freed
- One of 9 militants killed in Dhaka raid is 'missing' varsity student