Suspected Islamic militants abduct man in Philippines: Govt
Zamboanga: Suspected Islamic militants abducted a college professor on a southern
Philippine island where another hostage was beheaded this week, officials said on Friday.
Gunmen believed to be from the al Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf group barged into the home of Orlando Fajardo in Basilan island`s capital of Isabela yesterday and kidnapped him, Deputy Governor Al Rasheed Sakalahul said.
"This is really bad. Four gunmen took Fajardo from his home. We have alerted security forces about this latest kidnapping," Sakalahul told reporters.
Fajardo, a licensed engineer, is also the vice president of the Basilan State College, Sakalahul said.
The Abu Sayyaf is a small group of militants on the US government`s list of wanted terrorists who have been blamed for a string of abductions in the southern Philippines, as well as the country`s worst terrorist attacks.
Fajardo`s kidnapping came a day after Abu Sayyaf militants beheaded a Filipino they seized with two others from a plywood factory last month.
Mark Singson`s severed head was found stuffed inside a plastic bag at a park on Wednesday, after the owner of the Hitech Wood Craft Company where they worked failed to pay a ransom.
The other victims -- Michael Tan, 27 and Oscar Lu, 51 -- were allowed to call their employer, but there has been no word about their fate since.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- CID team visits Murshidabad hospital after two women killed in fire
- India must take Dawood's presence strictly with Pakistan: Samajwadi Party
- At least 10 killed, 32 injured in road accident in China's Guangxi Zhuang region
- Do you know low socioeconomic status can be a factor for heart attack? - Read
- PM Modi bats for eco-friendly Ganesh Utsav, Durga Puja