Suspected Islamic militants abduct man in Philippines: Govt
Zamboanga: Suspected Islamic militants abducted a college professor on a southern
Philippine island where another hostage was beheaded this week, officials said on Friday.
Gunmen believed to be from the al Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf group barged into the home of Orlando Fajardo in Basilan island`s capital of Isabela yesterday and kidnapped him, Deputy Governor Al Rasheed Sakalahul said.
"This is really bad. Four gunmen took Fajardo from his home. We have alerted security forces about this latest kidnapping," Sakalahul told reporters.
Fajardo, a licensed engineer, is also the vice president of the Basilan State College, Sakalahul said.
The Abu Sayyaf is a small group of militants on the US government`s list of wanted terrorists who have been blamed for a string of abductions in the southern Philippines, as well as the country`s worst terrorist attacks.
Fajardo`s kidnapping came a day after Abu Sayyaf militants beheaded a Filipino they seized with two others from a plywood factory last month.
Mark Singson`s severed head was found stuffed inside a plastic bag at a park on Wednesday, after the owner of the Hitech Wood Craft Company where they worked failed to pay a ransom.
The other victims -- Michael Tan, 27 and Oscar Lu, 51 -- were allowed to call their employer, but there has been no word about their fate since.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen