Suspected Islamic militants abduct man in Philippines: Govt
Zamboanga: Suspected Islamic militants abducted a college professor on a southern
Philippine island where another hostage was beheaded this week, officials said on Friday.
Gunmen believed to be from the al Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf group barged into the home of Orlando Fajardo in Basilan island`s capital of Isabela yesterday and kidnapped him, Deputy Governor Al Rasheed Sakalahul said.
"This is really bad. Four gunmen took Fajardo from his home. We have alerted security forces about this latest kidnapping," Sakalahul told reporters.
Fajardo, a licensed engineer, is also the vice president of the Basilan State College, Sakalahul said.
The Abu Sayyaf is a small group of militants on the US government`s list of wanted terrorists who have been blamed for a string of abductions in the southern Philippines, as well as the country`s worst terrorist attacks.
Fajardo`s kidnapping came a day after Abu Sayyaf militants beheaded a Filipino they seized with two others from a plywood factory last month.
Mark Singson`s severed head was found stuffed inside a plastic bag at a park on Wednesday, after the owner of the Hitech Wood Craft Company where they worked failed to pay a ransom.
The other victims -- Michael Tan, 27 and Oscar Lu, 51 -- were allowed to call their employer, but there has been no word about their fate since.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read