Syrian dissidents set up ‘National Council’
Turkish-Syrian Border: Syrian opposition
activists have set up a "National Council" to spearhead the
battle to oust President Bashar al-Assad`s regime, a group of
dissidents, including their spokesman Jamil Saib, announced
"We announce the creation of a National Council to
lead the Syrian revolution, comprising all communities and
representatives of national political forces inside and
outside Syria," they told reporters a near the Turkish-Syrian
The activists urged opposition forces "to cooperate in
all cities and provinces of Syria to achieve the legitimate
goal of overthrowing the regime and bringing it to justice."
Saib said council members included notably Abdallah
Trad el Moulahim, one of the organisers of a Syrian opposition
gathering in Turkey this month, Haitham el-Maleh, Souhair
al-Atassi and Aref Dalila, all three based in Syria, as well
as Sheikh Khaled al-Khalaf and Mamoun el-Homsi.
"The purpose of this council is to bring together
opposition forces to support the revolution" and ensure that
they are heard by the international community, Saib said.
The council was created "in the name of Syria`s free
revolutionary youth in view of the crimes the regime
perpetrated against the oppressed civilian population, which
was holding peaceful protests," the group said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists