Taiwan ruling party to pay Chinese spies: Report
Taipei: A Taiwan court has ordered the island`s ruling party to pay USD 2.8 million compensation to 17 Chinese nationals arrested in China while spying for the party over 20 years ago, according to a report.
The agents, based in Beijing and Shanghai, were recruited by the Kuomintang (KMT) party to spy on China in the 1980s and were arrested after the 1989 Tiananmen crackdown, said the Taipei-based China Times, on Saturday.
They were later sentenced to prison terms ranging from three to 18 years, the paper said.
A former agent, identified only by his surname Tang, was quoted by the paper as saying that he was recruited by the KMT while he was an engineer stationed in Iraq.
Tang, who filed the lawsuit in the Taipei district court on behalf of the group, said the KMT promised "hefty compensation" in the event of their arrests but had abandoned them after they were caught, the report said.
The court rejected the KMT`s arguments that the agents were working for the Taiwan government and therefore the compensation should come from state coffers, it said.
Court officials were not immediately available for comment.
Taiwan and China have spied on each other since they split in 1949 when the nationalist KMT lost a civil war on the mainland to the communists and fled to Taiwan to set up a separate government.
But Beijing still regards the island as part of its territory awaiting reunification, if necessary by force.
Last month, a Taiwanese Army major general was arrested on charges of spying for China, while a retired local agent alleged that at least 10 Chinese moles are believed to have infiltrated Taiwan`s security units.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'