Tens of thousands of firefighters battle raging fire in Russia
Moscow: Tens of thousands of firefighters,
including soldiers, today battled forest fires raging across
Central Russia that is posing threat to over 200 villages and
towns, with Prime Minister Vladimir Putin describing the
situation as `grim`.
"Wildfires are threatening more than 200 villages in
the Russian regions of Voronezh, Moscow, Nizhny Novgorod, as
well as in the republic of Mordovia (Volga region)", chief of
National Centre for Crisis Situations Gen Vladimir Stepanov
today told a meeting chaired by Putin.
The hastily arranged meeting was called to take the
stock of the situation as already 77 villages and towns have
been fully or partially turned into heaps of ashes, leaving 30
"The situation we have with wildfires remains
difficult, Thursday night and Friday morning we had to counter
some grave consequences in some regions, the situation has
stabilised a bit. However, on the whole, it remains grim,"
Putin said at the meeting televised live by state-run Rossiya
According to the Emergencies Ministry`s (EMERCOM)
figures this morning, forests over an area of 121,500 hectares
are ablaze even as army has been called in to assist over
240,000 fire-fighters and volunteers.
"Over the last 24 hours, 1,257 homes have been
destroyed in the largest wildfire ever to hit the European
part of Russia," Putin said.
Since July 29, in the Nizhny Novgorod region alone 575
homes were burned and 1,500 people were evacuated. Emergency
situation has been announced in 14 regions in Russia.
"All together in the Volga Federal District, 625 homes
have burned, in Voronezh - more than 200 homes have burned and
more than 1,000 people have been evacuated,"Gen Stepanov said.
Putin, who yesterday released huge compensation funds,
ordered the governors of affected areas to build homes for
`each and every` family by October.
Due to dry and windy weather more than 22,000 fire
islands have been registered in the Central Russia.
According to EMERCOM, 240,000 people are battling the
wildfires and that 25,000 pieces of equipment are being used
throughout the regions, including 64 special fire-fighting
aircraft, almost whole air fleet of the Emergencies Ministry.
However, the governors of Nizhny Novgorod and Ryazan in
their video conference with Putin said the fire-fighting air
fleet remains grounded due to low visibility caused by dense
smoke and smog from the forest fires.
The military, which is facing an uphill task of
protecting its own arsenals and ammunition dumps from the
wildfires, have joined the rescue efforts.
"We have put in everything we have, including all of
our fire brigades," Defence Minister Anatoly Serdyukov told
President Dmitry Medvedev.
The Emergencies Ministry is sending 100 paratroopers
from Siberia, who are trained in fire-fighting, to the Nizhny
Novgorod region, RIA Novosti reported.
In his televised remarks, the Defence Minister said
that in Moscow region alone there were several battalions
involved ensuring water supplies to firefighters and in other
regions more than 300 pieces of equipment had been sent to put
out the fires.
In their e-mail posted on the Roskosmos Federal Space
Agency, the Russian crew from International Space Station has
disappointed millions of people by saying "there was not a
speck of cloud" over the vast territory, which could bring
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM