Thailand: Four killed in Phuket pub fire
Bangkok: Four people were killed and a dozen injured in a massive fire at a disco pub on Thailand`s southern resort island Phuket early Friday.
The blaze broke out around 3.55 a.m. on the second floor of the Tiger Pub on the island`s popular western Patong beach, which was then filled with Thai and foreign tourists, reported Xinhua.
It took about an hour for the firefighters to bring the blaze under control. Early reports said four bodies were retrieved from the fire and 11 injured were taken to a hospital.
There is no Chinese citizen among the injured, Wu Xiufeng, an official at the Chinese Consulate in Songkla, told Xinhua by telephone.
"But the four bodies were burnt and deformed and their identities can only be confirmed by pending DNA tests," he said.
Phuket Deputy Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada said the authorities believed the victims are foreign tourists but it is not yet confirmed.
The incident is under investigation. But according to Chamroen, the fire was probably caused by lightning which struck a transformer.
It was a reminder of the 2009 New Year pub fire in capital Bangkok, which left more than 60 people dead, including five foreign tourists. The pub owner was convicted of gross negligence last year and sentenced to three years in prison.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know