Thailand puts 17 provinces under emergency decree
Bangkok: The Thai government has extended a state of emergency to cover 17 provinces to prevent rural protesters from joining a massive anti-government rally in the capital.
Thursday`s measure added 15 new provinces to an emergency decree that had already applied to Bangkok and another nearby province.
The decree gives the army broad powers to deal with protesters and places restrictions on civil liberties.
Government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn says the expanded emergency decree is intended to prevent "masses of people trying to come to Bangkok."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?