Thousands in Belarus protest against government
Minsk: Several thousand people have
turned out for an anti-government rally in Belarus to call for
the freeing of political prisoners and for the former Soviet
republic to become a European-style democracy.
Today`s protest rally was the largest since authoritarian
President Alexander Lukashenko won another term in a December
2010 election and intensified his crackdown on the opposition.
The opposition has traditionally held rallies on March 25
to mark the anniversary of Belarus` short-lived declaration of
independence from Russia in 1918.
Lukashenko`s government usually bans the rallies and
sends police in to break them up.
This year, the protesters were allowed to gather
peacefully, but each one had to pass through security controls
and be photographed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?