Three killed in Thai bombings
Bangkok: Three people were killed and at least 40 injured in two blasts in restive southern Thailand on Friday.
A car bomb exploded in front of a downtown hotel in Muslim majority district Betong district in Yala province bordering Malaysia at 5 PM local time.
The area was crowded with tourists and local residents shopping for food to eat after fasting.
Initial reports said a man and a woman were killed in the attack.
Police said the attackers concealed about 30 kilos of explosives in a white Mazda which had a fake licence plate.
The explosion damaged the hotel building, cars and motorcycles in the area and sparked a fire in a house and a convenience store.
Earlier today, in nearby Narathiwat district, a roadside bomb killed one paramilitary ranger and injured three of his friends
Security authorities said a small cooking gas cylinder stuffed with explosives was detonated with a communication radio when the four paramilitary rangers were riding two motorcycles back from a teacher protection trip to their base camp.
Thailand is a Buddhist-majority country, but the three southern provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat are majority-Muslim and resistance to central government rule has been there for decades, resurfacing with violence in 2004.
More than 5,000 people have died as a result of the insurrection in the south since January 2004.
The opening of peace talks with rebel groups last year has not achieved much to end violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate