Times Square plot indicates rise of extremist groups: McChrystal
Washington: The failed Times Square bombing attempt, for which the Pakistani Taliban has been held responsible by the US, shows the rise of extremist groups, a top American General has said.
"I think what this does point out is the rise of extremist groups, whether it`s TTP, Pakistani Taliban, or al Qaeda or others," General Stanley McChrystal, commander of US and NATO forces in Afghanistan, told reporters at a Pentagon briefing yesterday.
"They all represent to some degree or another ability to generate threats that can go outside of the local area that they are," McChrystal said in response to a question.
So the degree to which the government of Pakistan is focused on bringing to an end the insurgency they face from the Pakistani Taliban, I think this highlights just how that is important for them, and important for our partnership with them to do that, he added.
McChrystal was in Washington to attend the US-Afghan dialogue and participate in deliberations with the Afghan delegation led by its President Hamid Karzai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets