Treatment of Vietnam veterans a disgrace: Obama
Washington: President Barack Obama has slammed America’s treatment of Vietnam veterans, describing it as a ‘disgrace’, and vowed that combat troops returning from wars in Iraq and Afghanistan would not suffer similar dishonour.
Obama said the Vietnam war was ‘one of the most painful chapters in our history’, especially ‘how we treated our troops who served there’.
“You were often blamed for a war you didn’t start, when you should have been commended for serving your country with valour,” he said while addressing veterans before a monument dedicated to the 60,000 Americans killed in Vietnam.
“You came home and sometimes were denigrated, when you should have been celebrated. It was a national shame, a disgrace that should have never happened,” the Telegraph quoted Obama, as saying.
According to the paper, he announced that the US would begin a 13-year programme of honouring three million Americans who had served in the conflict.
The invasion of Iraq, which Obama has often called ‘the wrong war’, remains deeply controversial, for the Bush administrations’ promise of finding weapons of mass destruction, which never surfaced, and for the 4,500 American troops killed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed