Trial begins for 2 men accused of funding Taliban
Miami: A US prosecutor said on Friday that a Muslim cleric and his son who are accused of funnelling thousands of dollars to the Pakistani Taliban did so "in the name of a perverted form of the Muslim faith."
Hafiz Khan, 77, and his 26-year old son, Izhar Khan, have pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiracy and material support to terrorism. The elder Khan was imam at a Miami mosque, and his son held the same post at a suburban mosque.
They are accused of sending more than USD 50,000 to the Pakistani Taliban to help Taliban fighters after a Pakistan army offensive into the Swat Valley in summer 2009.
Each count the father and son face carries a maximum prison sentence of 15 years.
In opening statements, assistant US Attorney John Shipley Jr said Hafiz Khan expressed his backing for the Taliban supporter who tried to plant a bomb in New York City`s Times Square in summer 2010.
The Pakistani Taliban has been linked to al Qaeda, and authorities say the group was connected to the Times Square bombing attempt.
A starkly different picture was painted by the elder Khan`s defense attorney, Khurrum Wahid, and the attorney for the son, Joseph Rosenbaum.
They said prosecutors are misinterpreting thousands of phone conversations, intercepts and the bugged conversations of an informant.
Wahid told the jury that the elder cleric`s words are filled with expressions of love for his madrassa, the school he founded in Pakistan`s Swat Valley decades ago.
"He loved that school even more than his own family," Wahid said. He added that the cleric was lashing out verbally against those who hurt his people.
"He was speaking in words that were not politically correct," Wahid said.
Rosenbaum said the government had little evidence and in this case was "just plain wrong."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India