Tunisia: New Ben Ali trial begins
Tunis: Tunisia`s exiled former leader
Zine El Abidine Ben Ali and two allies went on trial in
absentia today on corruption and property fraud charges, the
latest in a series of cases against the ex-president.
Ben Ali, who fled to Saudi Arabia last January after a
popular revolt against his 23-year rule, has already been
sentenced in his absence to a total of more than 50 years in
two separate trials.
Today, the court was tackling two separate cases.
One involves the fraudulent acquisition of a plot of
land in an upscale Tunis district by Ben Ali`s son-in-law,
Sakhr Al-Materi, and his wife Nesrine following the "personal
intervention" of the former president.
In the second case, Ben Ali and al-Materi, who took
refuge in Qatar, are accused of having acquired a plot in the
same neighbourhood initially intended to be a park but
subsequently reclassified as building land, considerably
boosting its value.
"It`s a loss for the state and public property. We
demand the heaviest sentence," said a representative for the
prosecution. "These crimes are very serious, considering the
post which the main defendant, Ben Ali, held."
According to the indictment, the plots were acquired
for 23 dinars (11.5 euros) a square metre, well below their
real value of 350 dinars and then resold for 1,500 dinars a
"The evidence shows that the ex-president committed
violations and abuses of power in the two transactions," the
On July 4, a Tunis court sentenced Ben Ali to 15 and a
half years in jail for possession of arms, drugs and
archaeological artefacts and fined him 54,000 euros.
And in June, Ben Ali and his wife Leila Trabelsi were
sentenced to 35 years in prison and fined 45 million euros for
misappropriating public funds after police found large sums of
cash and jewellery in their palace.
Ben Ali denounced his first conviction as a "parody of
justice" and a "political liquidation" in a statement issued
But he and his entourage face possible legal
proceedings in around 180 other cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal