Two charged in slaying of Chicago honor student
Chicago: Authorities say they`ve filed murder charges against two gang members in the death of a 15-year-old honor student who was fatally shot last month near the Chicago home of President Barack Obama.
Chicago police spokeswoman Melissa Stratton said 18-year-old Michael Ward and 20-year-old Kenneth Williams were charged yesterday with first-degree murder in connection to the death of Hadiya Pendleton.
Both men also are charged with two counts of attempted murder and aggravated battery with a firearm.
Police say Pendleton was talking with friends in a Chicago park when one suspect ran toward the group, opened fire and then fled in a car.
The Jan 29 shooting made national headlines because Pendleton had recently returned from Washington, where she`d performed during inauguration festivities with her high school band.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees