Two charged in slaying of Chicago honor student
Chicago: Authorities say they`ve filed murder charges against two gang members in the death of a 15-year-old honor student who was fatally shot last month near the Chicago home of President Barack Obama.
Chicago police spokeswoman Melissa Stratton said 18-year-old Michael Ward and 20-year-old Kenneth Williams were charged yesterday with first-degree murder in connection to the death of Hadiya Pendleton.
Both men also are charged with two counts of attempted murder and aggravated battery with a firearm.
Police say Pendleton was talking with friends in a Chicago park when one suspect ran toward the group, opened fire and then fled in a car.
The Jan 29 shooting made national headlines because Pendleton had recently returned from Washington, where she`d performed during inauguration festivities with her high school band.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'