Two charged in slaying of Chicago honor student
Chicago: Authorities say they`ve filed murder charges against two gang members in the death of a 15-year-old honor student who was fatally shot last month near the Chicago home of President Barack Obama.
Chicago police spokeswoman Melissa Stratton said 18-year-old Michael Ward and 20-year-old Kenneth Williams were charged yesterday with first-degree murder in connection to the death of Hadiya Pendleton.
Both men also are charged with two counts of attempted murder and aggravated battery with a firearm.
Police say Pendleton was talking with friends in a Chicago park when one suspect ran toward the group, opened fire and then fled in a car.
The Jan 29 shooting made national headlines because Pendleton had recently returned from Washington, where she`d performed during inauguration festivities with her high school band.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police