Two charged in slaying of Chicago honor student
Chicago: Authorities say they`ve filed murder charges against two gang members in the death of a 15-year-old honor student who was fatally shot last month near the Chicago home of President Barack Obama.
Chicago police spokeswoman Melissa Stratton said 18-year-old Michael Ward and 20-year-old Kenneth Williams were charged yesterday with first-degree murder in connection to the death of Hadiya Pendleton.
Both men also are charged with two counts of attempted murder and aggravated battery with a firearm.
Police say Pendleton was talking with friends in a Chicago park when one suspect ran toward the group, opened fire and then fled in a car.
The Jan 29 shooting made national headlines because Pendleton had recently returned from Washington, where she`d performed during inauguration festivities with her high school band.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued