Two charged in slaying of Chicago honor student
Chicago: Authorities say they`ve filed murder charges against two gang members in the death of a 15-year-old honor student who was fatally shot last month near the Chicago home of President Barack Obama.
Chicago police spokeswoman Melissa Stratton said 18-year-old Michael Ward and 20-year-old Kenneth Williams were charged yesterday with first-degree murder in connection to the death of Hadiya Pendleton.
Both men also are charged with two counts of attempted murder and aggravated battery with a firearm.
Police say Pendleton was talking with friends in a Chicago park when one suspect ran toward the group, opened fire and then fled in a car.
The Jan 29 shooting made national headlines because Pendleton had recently returned from Washington, where she`d performed during inauguration festivities with her high school band.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore