Typhoon kills 20 in Japan, over 50 missing
Japan left at least 20 people dead and more than 50 missing,
reports said on Sunday, after swollen rivers swept away buildings
and landslides crushed houses.
One of the victims drowned after flood waters gushed
into his car and streets were submerged in scenes that
rekindled memories of the March 11 tsunami disaster. Thousands
of people were left stranded.
Typhoon Talas, which made landfall on Saturday and is
one of the deadliest in recent years, packed gusts of up to
108 kilometres (68 miles) per hour as it cut across the island
of Shikoku and the main island of Honshu.
The government set up an emergency task force as the
number of victims looked set to grow and landslides and
damaged roads hampered relief efforts.
In Wakayama prefecture, 12 people were killed and 29
One man drowned after flood waters surged into his
car, and another man was killed after a landslide hit his
house, the local government said.
In Nara prefecture`s Totsukawa village, an overflowing
river washed away apartments, leaving at least two people dead
and seven missing, the local government said.
In the Kansai region and elsewhere up to 30,000 people
were evacuated, according to the fire and disaster management
Television footage showed massive landslides crushing
wooden houses in mountainous communities, with muddy water
submerging streets and washing away wooden debris and cars.
A tally by the Kyodo news agency showed at least 20
people had been killed, more than 50 were missing and 3,600
were left stranded by landslides and collapsed bridges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi