UK airport security staff suspended for missing fa
London: An airline security worker at the Manchester Airport has been suspended after failing to detect a fake bomb as it passed through the X-ray machine.
Manchester Airport said it had launched an investigation into the incident.
The Department for Transport carries out regular dummy runs at UK airports to ensure security is up to the mark.
"We can confirm a security officer has been suspended but we cannot comment further as there is an ongoing investigation," a spokesman for the airport was quoted as saying by the BBC.
The Department for Transport spokesman said it conducted regular airport tests but could not comment further.
The spokesman said: "The safety of the travelling public is paramount, which is why the UK combines intelligence, technology and other measures to provide one of the strictest regimes for aviation security in the world.
"We have a regular programme of inspections to ensure compliance with this regime, but do not comment on the specifics or outcomes for obvious reasons."
In July, Manchester Airport suspended a number of airline staff after an 11-year-old boy boarded a plane from Manchester to Rome on his own without a passport, tickets or boarding pass.
The boy mingled with families to get through checks and was found mid-air on the Jet2 plane after passengers became suspicious.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth