UK-bound plane receives bomb threat
Ankara: A UK-bound Pakistan International
Airlines plane was forced to make an emergency landing in
Istanbul on Wednesday after it received a bomb threat over Bulgaria,
state-run Anatolia news agency reported.
Authorities quickly evacuated all 378 passengers from the
Boeing 777-300ER aircraft after it was parked at a remote
corner of the International Ataturk Airport, and bomb squads
began searching the plane with sniffer dogs, Anatolia
The plane received the threat somewhere near the Bulgarian
capital of Sofia, and contacted the control tower in Istanbul
to seek permission for the landing.
Television footage showed the PIA plane with the Pakistani
flag painted on its tail on the tarmac in Istanbul with about
a dozen ground workers nearby apparently after the plane was
evacuated. Firefighter trucks and ambulances were on standby
at a safe distance.
The plane took off from the Pakistan capital Islamabad and
was heading to Manchester, England, the agency said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees