UK Elections: Ruling Labour confident of victory
London: Buoyed by recent surge in public
opinion in its favour, the ruling Labour party in the UK is
now confident that it would be voted back to power and has
worked out a plan to woe the Asian voters in its favour.
"This election is winnable. It`s Prime Minister Gordon
Brown who led, not only Britain but the world in the recent
economic recession," said Secretary of State for Energy and
Climate Change Ed Miliband at a fund-raising event for party`s
prospective Parliamentary candidate from Bethnal Green and Bow
Miliband said the Labour government under Brown fought
for values, to save jobs, improve public service and better
the health service.
"We can win the election and make Britain a fairer
place for all," he told the gathering at the famous Red Fort
Hotel in the heart of the city last night.
Sarah Brown, wife of Prime Minister Brown was also
present on the occasion.
Though a formal announcement is yet to be made, the
election is scheduled before June 3 this year.
Former Health Secretary Frank Dobson said if elected,
Rushanara Ali would become the first Bangladeshi British MP.
Describing her as a "local girl", Dobson said Ali
would be a "role model" for others.
Dobson also praised Amin Ali, owner of the Red Fort
for organising such a successful fund-raising event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!