UK: Ex-MP jailed over false expenses claims
London: A former Labour MP who made false expense claims has been jailed for 16 months.
Jim Devine is the third former lawmaker to be jailed over the expenses scandal.
The 57-year-old was found guilty last month of submitting fake claims for cleaning and printing work worth worth £8,385.
Sentencing him at Southwark Crown Court, Judge John Saunders criticised the ex-lawmaker for continuing to make false claims even after the scandal had erupted and expenses were under public scrutiny.
"Mr Devine set about defrauding the public purse in a calculated and deliberate way," said the judge.
"These offences constituted a gross breach of trust which, along with others, had had the effect of causing serious damage to the reputation of parliament.
"Mr Devine made his false claims at a time when he well knew the damage that was being caused to parliament by the expenses scandal, but he carried on regardless."
Devine, who has been declared bankrupt since his conviction, had told his trial that he was acting on advice given with a "nod and a wink" by a fellow lawmaker in a bar in parliament.
Dozens of parliamentarians were caught out in 2009 after The Daily Telegraph published details of claims, revealing how taxpayers` money was used for lawmakers` widescreen TVs, furnishings and even an ornamental duck house.
Under the old expenses system, lawmakers could claim thousands of pounds towards buying, furnishing and renovating a home in the capital. The system has now been changed.=
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video