UK govt moves to axe ID cards
London: The UK has initiated moves to scrap the controversial GBP 5 billion national Identity Card scheme, with the new Home Secretary Theresa May declaring it "intrusive, bullying and ineffective”.
Stating that she is very pleased to wield the axe on the proposed national identity cards and this would lead to a "Millennium Dome`s" worth of savings - or nearly GBP 900 million for the taxpayer.
Scrapping of the cards proposed by the outgoing Labour regime was one of the main election planks of the Conservative party.
Speaking in the House of Commons yesterday during the second reading debate of the identity Documents Bill which will invalidate all existing cards within one month of the Bill becoming law, Theresa said "the national identity card scheme represents the worst of Government.”
“It is intrusive and bullying, ineffective and expensive. It is an assault on individual liberty that does not promise a great good.”
“The Bill is therefore partly symbolic, it sends a message that the Government is going to do business in a different way.”
“We are the servants of the people and not their masters.”
The Government will also destroy all information held on the National Identity Register, effectively dismantling it.
The role of the Identity Commissioner, created in an effort to prevent data blunders and leaks, will be terminated. Around 15,000 members of the public who had paid 30 for one of the cards would not be compensated, she said.
Shadow Home Secretary Alan Johnson said Labour would not vote against the Bill, as he accepted the mandate of the Government to abolish them, but he pointed out the "inconsistency" of the Tory position, as they had backed ID cards up to and through the 2005 general election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow