UK phone-hacking: Rebecca Brooks` PA arrested

Cheryl Carter, who served as the PA to Rebecca Brooks, was arrested by British officials probing phone-hacking by `News of the World` tabloid.

Updated: Jan 17, 2012, 17:49 PM IST

London: Cheryl Carter, who for many years
served as the personal assistant to the controversial News
International chief executive Rebecca Brooks, was on Friday
arrested by British officials probing phone-hacking at media
baron Rupert Murdoch`s `News of the World` tabloid.
She is the 17th person to be arrested under Operation
Weeting, which is investigating phone-hacking at the now
closed tabloid.

She has been arrested under suspicion of trying to
pervert the course of justice.

Carter, 47, was not named by the police, but her identity
has been widely reported by journalists following the case.

"Officers from Operation Weeting have this morning
arrested a 47-year-old woman at an address in Essex," Scotland
Yard said.

"The woman was arrested at approximately 06.55 on
suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice, and
she is currently in custody at an Essex police station," it
said in a statement.
She is no longer employed by either News International or

Carter, who worked closely with Brooks for 19 years, is
likely to be familiar with working practices of Brooks, who
resigned from News International in June.

Carter worked with Brooks when she was editor of the News
of the World and the Sun, and then when Brooks was elevated to
the company’s chief executive`s role.

The arrest of Carter is the first in Operation Weeting
since private investigator Glenn Mulcaire`s in December. He
was released on bail until March over allegations of phone
hacking and perverting the course of justice.

Those arrested so far include former News International
chief executive Brooks and ex-Downing Street communications
chief Andy Coulson.

Operation Weeting is running alongside Operation Elveden,
the investigation into alleged police corruption.

Allegations of phone hacking and police payments led Met
Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson and Assistant
Commissioner John Yates to resign, and the News of the World
to close down after 168 years.