UK phone-hacking: Rebecca Brooks` PA arrested
London: Cheryl Carter, who for many years
served as the personal assistant to the controversial News
International chief executive Rebecca Brooks, was on Friday
arrested by British officials probing phone-hacking at media
baron Rupert Murdoch`s `News of the World` tabloid.
She is the 17th person to be arrested under Operation
Weeting, which is investigating phone-hacking at the now
She has been arrested under suspicion of trying to
pervert the course of justice.
Carter, 47, was not named by the police, but her identity
has been widely reported by journalists following the case.
"Officers from Operation Weeting have this morning
arrested a 47-year-old woman at an address in Essex," Scotland
"The woman was arrested at approximately 06.55 on
suspicion of attempting to pervert the course of justice, and
she is currently in custody at an Essex police station," it
said in a statement.
She is no longer employed by either News International or
Carter, who worked closely with Brooks for 19 years, is
likely to be familiar with working practices of Brooks, who
resigned from News International in June.
Carter worked with Brooks when she was editor of the News
of the World and the Sun, and then when Brooks was elevated to
the company’s chief executive`s role.
The arrest of Carter is the first in Operation Weeting
since private investigator Glenn Mulcaire`s in December. He
was released on bail until March over allegations of phone
hacking and perverting the course of justice.
Those arrested so far include former News International
chief executive Brooks and ex-Downing Street communications
chief Andy Coulson.
Operation Weeting is running alongside Operation Elveden,
the investigation into alleged police corruption.
Allegations of phone hacking and police payments led Met
Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson and Assistant
Commissioner John Yates to resign, and the News of the World
to close down after 168 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list