UK promises political biggest shake-up in 178 yrs
London: As part of what is billed as the
`biggest shake-up` of Britain`s democracy in 178 years, the
new coalition government on Wednesday promised to allow people to
recall MPs, tear up laws, a fixed-term parliament and a
referendum on a new system of conducting elections.
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, who is in charge
of political reform in the Conservative-Liberal Democrats
coalition, said the proposed reform of the political
infrastructure will be the biggest since the 1832 Great Reform
Clegg said: "I`m talking about the most significant
programme of empowerment by a British government since the
great enfranchisement of the 19th Century.
The biggest shake up of our democracy since 1832,
when the Great Reform Act redrew the boundaries of British
democracy, for the first time extending the franchise beyond
the landed classes.
He added: "Incremental change will not do. It is time
for a wholesale, big bang approach to political reform."
Accusing previous Labour governments of indulging
in "obsessive lawmaking", he called upon the British public to
suggest which laws they would like to get rid of.
He also promised to introduce a mechanism to block
pointless new criminal offences.
Clegg`s reform proposals include: Partially elected
House of Lords, scrapping the ID card scheme and the national
identity register, libel to be reviewed to protect freedom of
speech, and limits on the rights to peaceful protest to be
Clegg said: "This government is going to persuade
you to put your faith in politics once again. We don`t, unlike
Labour, believe that change in our society must be forced from
Unlike the previous Labour government, we`re not
insecure about relinquishing control."
Senior Labour leader Alan Johnson accused Clegg of
using "rampant hyperbole" and said: "If he wants to ask the
public which laws to get rid of, he should also ask which laws
they would like to keep."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!