UK rail project uncovers bodies from plague period
London: Excavations for a railroad line in London have uncovered the remains of 13 bodies and ceramics that appear to date back to the mid-14th century when the bubonic plague ravaged Britain, the BBC reported.
It has long been known that a cemetery once existed in the area, but its exact location was a mystery.
The skeletons and ceramics were found in Charterhouse Square during excavations carried out for Crossrail, a high-speed passenger rail line.
DNA analyses made on the human remains could provide valuable information on the rise of the bacteria that grew into the epidemic known as the Black Death, which killed more than 25 million people in Europe and was at its most deadly between 1347 and 1353.
The way that the bodies were laid in two orderly rows suggests they were buried when the scourge first broke out and before it turned into the pandemic that years later led to thousands of bodies being piled up in mass graves.
Archaeologists working on the Crossrail project and others for the Museum of London Archaeology will continue digging to discover more remains and other discoveries, according to the BBC.
"We`ve found archaeology from pretty much all periods - from the very ancient prehistoric right up to a 20th-century industrial site, but this site is probably the most important medieval site we`ve got," Crossrail project archaeologist Jay Carver told the broadcaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Check uaresults.nic.in for Uttarakhand Board Class 12 result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes