UK will get a slap from us, threatens Iran
London: Iran summoned the British ambassador in Tehran on Tuesday, with Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki threatening Britain with a "slap in the mouth" if it did not stop interfering in Iranian affairs.
Britain`s Foreign Office said the ambassador would respond "robustly" to any criticism of a British government statement calling on Tehran to respect the human rights of Iranian citizens.
Iran`s elite Revolutionary Guards earlier said Iran`s opposition was linked to the country`s foreign enemies.
Mottaki told a news conference that the ambassador had been summoned over Britain`s interference in Iran`s domestic affairs. "If Britain does not stop talking nonsense it will get a slap in the mouth," he said.
On Monday British Foreign Secretary David Miliband criticised the Tehran regime after at least eight people were killed in anti-government protests.
Miliband said the deaths were "yet another reminder of how the Iranian regime deals with protest" and praised the courage of protesters.
At least 20 opposition figures have been arrested since Sunday as hardline rulers intensify a crackdown on Iran`s reform movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?