Ukraine ruling coalition dissolved setting stage for early vote
Kiev: Ukraine`s ruling parliamentary majority was officially disbanded on Thursday, setting the stage for early legislative elections in the strife-torn ex-Soviet state.
Speaker Oleksandr Turchynov announced the formal dissolution of the European Choice coalition in Ukraine`s Verkhovna Rada in a move that gives President Petro Poroshenko the right over the next month to announce a fresh parliamentary poll.
The announcement was triggered by the withdrawal of several parties -- including the pro-European Udar party of former boxing champion Vitali Klitschko and the Fatherland group of ex-prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko -- in anticipation of an early vote.
Early parliamentary elections in Ukraine have been expected since the February ouster of Kremlin-backed leader Viktor Yanukovych following months of deadly protests. The country was previously due to hold a vote only in 2017.
Poroshenko -- who was elected in May after constitutional changes handed more powers to parliament -- said that the deputies were recognising a groundswell of popular opinion that a new set of lawmakers should be chosen.
"All public opinion polls, as well as direct contact with people, shows that the public wants a complete overhaul of those in power," Poroshenko said in a statement.
He pledged though that the possibility of upcoming elections would not paralyse the work of parliament at a time when Kiev is struggling to end a bloody separatist insurrection tearing apart the east of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security