Ukraine ruling coalition dissolved setting stage for early vote
Kiev: Ukraine`s ruling parliamentary majority was officially disbanded on Thursday, setting the stage for early legislative elections in the strife-torn ex-Soviet state.
Speaker Oleksandr Turchynov announced the formal dissolution of the European Choice coalition in Ukraine`s Verkhovna Rada in a move that gives President Petro Poroshenko the right over the next month to announce a fresh parliamentary poll.
The announcement was triggered by the withdrawal of several parties -- including the pro-European Udar party of former boxing champion Vitali Klitschko and the Fatherland group of ex-prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko -- in anticipation of an early vote.
Early parliamentary elections in Ukraine have been expected since the February ouster of Kremlin-backed leader Viktor Yanukovych following months of deadly protests. The country was previously due to hold a vote only in 2017.
Poroshenko -- who was elected in May after constitutional changes handed more powers to parliament -- said that the deputies were recognising a groundswell of popular opinion that a new set of lawmakers should be chosen.
"All public opinion polls, as well as direct contact with people, shows that the public wants a complete overhaul of those in power," Poroshenko said in a statement.
He pledged though that the possibility of upcoming elections would not paralyse the work of parliament at a time when Kiev is struggling to end a bloody separatist insurrection tearing apart the east of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Religious tensions bristle in Myanmar village after mosque destroyed
- After IITs, HRD Ministry hikes fees in NITs, IISERs
- Was Test captain Virat Kohli overruled by BCCI, CAC in India coach appointment?
- Swami Prasad Maurya is a traitor: Mayawati
- Gold slips from 26-month high, down Rs 485 on fall in demand