Ukraine says military plane `likely` shot down from Russia
Davydo-Mykilske: Ukraine said a military plane downed over rebel territory on Monday was "likely" shot from Russia after establishing contact with the aircraft`s crew, ratcheting up tensions with Moscow along their volatile border.
"Crew members from an AN-26 plane... That was shot down have established contact with the general staff," said a statement on Ukrainian presidency website, without giving details of any casualties.
It said the transport aircraft had been flying too high to be hit by portable missile systems used by the rebels meaning the shots had come "likely from the territory of the Russian Federation".
An AFP crew found the wreckage of the downed plane strewn around a field in the eastern Lugansk region close to the border with Russia and local residents said it had come down shortly after midday with some parachutes spotted in the sky.
There was no sign of the eight people on board.
Kiev`s accusation will ramp up nerves along the porous border between the two ex-Soviet neighbours -- across which Kiev accuses Moscow of pouring fighters and weapons -- despite Russia saying it was inviting international observers to monitor the frontier.
"As a gesture of goodwill and without waiting for the enforcement of a ceasefire regime, the Russian side is inviting OSCE observers to the Gukovo and Donetsk border posts on the Russian-Ukrainian border," Russia`s foreign ministry said in a statement.
Tensions had already soared after a shell reportedly from the Ukrainian side killed a Russian civilian yesterday.
The foreign ministry in Moscow warned that Kiev risked "irreversible consequences" and a report in respected daily Kommersant cited a source close to the Kremlin as saying Russia was weighing up "targeted retaliatory strikes" against Ukrainian positions.
President Vladimir Putin`s spokesman Dmitry Peskov however dismissed the report, telling AFP: "I don`t comment on this in any way. It`s complete nonsense."
Kiev has denied that its forces were behind the shelling and Western-backed President Petro Poroshenko called yesterday on the West to condemn "attacks by Russian soldiers of positions held by Ukrainian servicemen", in a phone conversation with EU Council President Herman van Rompuy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi