UN accuses Congo rebels of murdering civilians
Goma: The United Nations says the M23 rebels in Congo have been conducting regular search operations in which civilians have been murdered.
UN mission spokesman Col Felix Basse said on Wednesday that the M23 has mounted regular operations involving arbitrary arrests, murders and harassment of civilians.
He said that at least 26 farmers had been executed between June 16 and 19 in the localities of Busanza and Jomba. The statement is among the strongest that has been made by the UN against the rebels.
M23 spokesman Kabashi Amani dismissed the accusations as lies.
The M23 rebels reignited Congo`s dormant war in the east last fall, overrunning the strategically important city of Goma.
Peace talks with the government have started and stopped numerous times since their withdrawal from the city limits last November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak