UN bases shelter a record 95,000 in South Sudan
United Nations: The number of civilians seeking refuge on UN bases from bloodshed in South Sudan has reached a peak of 95,000 since fighting broke out in December, the United Nations has said.
There are more than 30,000 people on UN bases in the capital Juba, 18,000 in Malakal in Upper Nile State and around 38,000 in the oil hub of Bentiu, said spokesman Stephane Dujarric yesterday.
"That`s the largest figure recorded since the beginning of the crisis in mid-December," Dujarric told reporters. The UN Mission in South Sudan says most new sites for internally displaced people have been or are very close to completion.
In Malakal, 7,000 people have already moved to the new site. Relocation should begin this week in Juba and at the end of the month in Bor, in Jonglei state. The UN peacekeeping force has been bolstered by the arrival of 800 Rwandan soldiers, most of them deployed to Malakal.
Around 300 Ghanians have gone to Bentiu and two Ethiopian battalions of 1,700 are expected in the coming days. In December, the UN Security Council voted to double the world body`s peacekeeping mission in South Sudan by sending an extra 6,000 blue helmets, essentially diverted from other missions.
The conflict in the world`s youngest and one of its most poor countries has killed thousands and forced more than 1.5 million to flee their homes. The fighting broke out on December 15 in Juba.
Both the government of President Salva Kiir and rebels loyal to former vice president Riek Machar currently refuse to restart talks aimed at ending the six-month conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone