UN envoy backs Syrian opposition`s call for talks
Cairo: The international envoy to Syria is backing an opposition leader`s call for dialogue as fighting raged between rebels and government troops in at least three Syrian provinces.
Lakhdar Brahimi, the joint UN-Arab League envoy to Syria, says the proposal by Mouaz al-Khatib, the president of the opposition coalition, has opened the door and challenges the Syrian government to fulfil its often-repeated assertion that it is ready for a peaceful settlement.
Brahimi spoke to reporters today after talks with Arab League chief Nabil Elaraby at the league`s headquarters in Cairo.
Also today, a Britain-based rights group reported that at least six rebel field fighters were killed in clashes with Assad`s Army in the suburbs of the capital, the northern province of Hama and the southern restive town of Daraa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IPL 2016, KKR vs SRH: Colin Munro's run-out was the turning point of the match, says Gautam Gambhir
- D-St gives thumbs up to 2 years of Modi govt: Sensex tops 26,600-mark; Nifty above 8,100-level
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, Class X Results 2016 (cbse.nic.in) to be declared on May 30 not today on May 27 or May 28
- Whoa! Kareena Kapoor Khan gets bigger role in Sonam Kapoor's 'Veera Di Shaadi'?
- Faux pas: Ghaziabad cops verify Rahul Gandhi as a driver residing in Indirapuram