UN, EU launch project to prevent nuclear disasters
New York: The United Nations and the European Union have launched a programme in a bid to prevent future biological and nuclear disasters around the world.
The Centres for Excellence (CoE) Initiative is designed to alleviate the risks of crimes related to chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear disasters (CBRN) by promoting coherent CBRN policies, according to a press statement issued here on Friday.
"The initiative maximises existing capacities and supports countries to better address the risks posed by CBRN," Jonathan Lucas, the director of the UN Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI), said in the statement.
At a press conference here, Bruno Dupre, the policy coordinator for CBRN issues for the EU Diplomatic Service, said the agency aims to increase cooperation, vigilance and dialogue in those regions that are at higher risk of nuclear disaster.
Dupre also noted that the CoE Initiative is not a programme to respond to crisis, but to avoid any future crises, Xinhua reported.
Currently, the initiative involves more than 60 countries and has been launched in eight regions, including Ukraine and Moldova, Central Asia, South East Europe, as well as several regions in Africa, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you