UN, EU launch project to prevent nuclear disasters
New York: The United Nations and the European Union have launched a programme in a bid to prevent future biological and nuclear disasters around the world.
The Centres for Excellence (CoE) Initiative is designed to alleviate the risks of crimes related to chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear disasters (CBRN) by promoting coherent CBRN policies, according to a press statement issued here on Friday.
"The initiative maximises existing capacities and supports countries to better address the risks posed by CBRN," Jonathan Lucas, the director of the UN Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI), said in the statement.
At a press conference here, Bruno Dupre, the policy coordinator for CBRN issues for the EU Diplomatic Service, said the agency aims to increase cooperation, vigilance and dialogue in those regions that are at higher risk of nuclear disaster.
Dupre also noted that the CoE Initiative is not a programme to respond to crisis, but to avoid any future crises, Xinhua reported.
Currently, the initiative involves more than 60 countries and has been launched in eight regions, including Ukraine and Moldova, Central Asia, South East Europe, as well as several regions in Africa, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks