UN, EU launch project to prevent nuclear disasters
New York: The United Nations and the European Union have launched a programme in a bid to prevent future biological and nuclear disasters around the world.
The Centres for Excellence (CoE) Initiative is designed to alleviate the risks of crimes related to chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear disasters (CBRN) by promoting coherent CBRN policies, according to a press statement issued here on Friday.
"The initiative maximises existing capacities and supports countries to better address the risks posed by CBRN," Jonathan Lucas, the director of the UN Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI), said in the statement.
At a press conference here, Bruno Dupre, the policy coordinator for CBRN issues for the EU Diplomatic Service, said the agency aims to increase cooperation, vigilance and dialogue in those regions that are at higher risk of nuclear disaster.
Dupre also noted that the CoE Initiative is not a programme to respond to crisis, but to avoid any future crises, Xinhua reported.
Currently, the initiative involves more than 60 countries and has been launched in eight regions, including Ukraine and Moldova, Central Asia, South East Europe, as well as several regions in Africa, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!