UNSC deplores chopper`s shooting down in South Sudan
United Nations: The UN Security Council (UNSC) has deplored the shooting down of its helicopter in South Sudan and urged the government to conduct a swift and through probe.
The members of the security council strongly deplored the helicopter`s shooting down in Jonglei state of South Sudan, Xinhua quoted a UN statement as saying.
The UN mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has also been urged to conduct a through investigation of the incident.
The UNMISS MI8 helicopter was performing reconnaissance flights to the area when it was shot down by the Sudan People`s Liberation Army, leaving all four Russian flight members killed, it added.
"The members of the security council extended their heartfelt condolences to the families of the crew, members and to the government of the Russian Federation," the statement said.
The South Sudanese military has told the UNMISS the shooting took place "by accident", Farhan Haq, the associate UN spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands