UNSC deplores chopper`s shooting down in South Sudan
United Nations: The UN Security Council (UNSC) has deplored the shooting down of its helicopter in South Sudan and urged the government to conduct a swift and through probe.
The members of the security council strongly deplored the helicopter`s shooting down in Jonglei state of South Sudan, Xinhua quoted a UN statement as saying.
The UN mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has also been urged to conduct a through investigation of the incident.
The UNMISS MI8 helicopter was performing reconnaissance flights to the area when it was shot down by the Sudan People`s Liberation Army, leaving all four Russian flight members killed, it added.
"The members of the security council extended their heartfelt condolences to the families of the crew, members and to the government of the Russian Federation," the statement said.
The South Sudanese military has told the UNMISS the shooting took place "by accident", Farhan Haq, the associate UN spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Deepika Padukone-Ranveer Singh break-up? Here's what the 'Padmavati' star has to say!