UNSC deplores chopper`s shooting down in South Sudan
United Nations: The UN Security Council (UNSC) has deplored the shooting down of its helicopter in South Sudan and urged the government to conduct a swift and through probe.
The members of the security council strongly deplored the helicopter`s shooting down in Jonglei state of South Sudan, Xinhua quoted a UN statement as saying.
The UN mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has also been urged to conduct a through investigation of the incident.
The UNMISS MI8 helicopter was performing reconnaissance flights to the area when it was shot down by the Sudan People`s Liberation Army, leaving all four Russian flight members killed, it added.
"The members of the security council extended their heartfelt condolences to the families of the crew, members and to the government of the Russian Federation," the statement said.
The South Sudanese military has told the UNMISS the shooting took place "by accident", Farhan Haq, the associate UN spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation