US asks Israel to `reconsider` settlements decision
Washington: The US on Monday asked Israel to "reconsider" a decision to allow homes for Jewish settlers in east Jerusalem and the West Bank.
The White House said that the US is opposed to all unilateral actions as they complicate efforts to resume direct, bilateral negotiations and risk prejudging the outcome of those negotiations.
"We reiterate our long- standing opposition to Israeli settlement activity and East Jerusalem construction.
"We oppose all unilateral actions, including settlement activity and housing construction, as they complicate efforts to resume direct, bilateral negotiations and risk prejudging the outcome of those negotiations, and this includes building in the so-called E1 area," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters.
The Obama Administration has made clear to the Israeli government that such action is contrary to US policy, opposing unilateral action, including settlement activity and housing construction in East Jerusalem, he said.
"We in the international community expect all parties to play a constructive role in efforts to achieve peace. We urge Israeli leaders to reconsider these unilateral decisions and to exercise restraint as these actions are counterproductive and make it harder to resume direct negotiations to achieve a two-state solution," Carney said.
Israel`s announcement about the 3,000 Jewish settler homes, whose planned location was not revealed, came in the wake of a historic vote by the United Nations General Assembly to upgrade Palestine`s diplomatic status.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested