US cartoonist disavows `Draw Mohammed` Facebook page
Washington: An American cartoonist, whose work inspired the controversial `Everybody Draw Mohammed Page` on Facebook, has condemned the effort and issued an apology to Muslims.
Molly Norris, of Seattle, drew a cartoon in April to protest the decision by the US television channel Comedy Central to cancel an episode of the popular show "South Park" over its depiction of the Prophet Mohammed in a bear suit.
In her cartoon, Norris satirically proposed May 20 as an ‘Everybody Draw Mohammed Day’.
An `Everybody Draw Mohammed Day` page quickly turned up on Facebook but Norris, writing on her website at mollynorris.com, said she had nothing to do with it.
"I did NOT `declare` May 20 to be `Everybody Draw Mohammed Day`,” she said, adding that her idea was satire but "was taken seriously, hijacked and made viral”.
"I never started a Facebook page; I never set up any place for people to send drawings to and I never received any drawings," she said.
"The vitriol this `day` has brought out, of people who only want to draw obscene images, is offensive to Muslims who did nothing to endanger our right to expression in the first place," she said.
"I apologise to people of Muslim faith and ask that this `day` be called off," she said.
The `Draw Mohammed` page has led to Facebook being
blocked in Pakistan and sparked angry protests and condemnation from the Foreign Ministry, which denounced the "publication of blasphemous caricatures of our holy prophet”.
The Facebook page on Tuesday had drawn over 89,000 fans -- and a slew of crude photo-shopped pictures and caricatures.
Among the dozens of pictures and drawings submitted to the Facebook page are depictions of a man in Arab garb engaged in sexual acts, blowing things up or portrayed as a pig, an animal considered unclean by Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!