US cartoonist disavows `Draw Mohammed` Facebook page
Washington: An American cartoonist, whose work inspired the controversial `Everybody Draw Mohammed Page` on Facebook, has condemned the effort and issued an apology to Muslims.
Molly Norris, of Seattle, drew a cartoon in April to protest the decision by the US television channel Comedy Central to cancel an episode of the popular show "South Park" over its depiction of the Prophet Mohammed in a bear suit.
In her cartoon, Norris satirically proposed May 20 as an ‘Everybody Draw Mohammed Day’.
An `Everybody Draw Mohammed Day` page quickly turned up on Facebook but Norris, writing on her website at mollynorris.com, said she had nothing to do with it.
"I did NOT `declare` May 20 to be `Everybody Draw Mohammed Day`,” she said, adding that her idea was satire but "was taken seriously, hijacked and made viral”.
"I never started a Facebook page; I never set up any place for people to send drawings to and I never received any drawings," she said.
"The vitriol this `day` has brought out, of people who only want to draw obscene images, is offensive to Muslims who did nothing to endanger our right to expression in the first place," she said.
"I apologise to people of Muslim faith and ask that this `day` be called off," she said.
The `Draw Mohammed` page has led to Facebook being
blocked in Pakistan and sparked angry protests and condemnation from the Foreign Ministry, which denounced the "publication of blasphemous caricatures of our holy prophet”.
The Facebook page on Tuesday had drawn over 89,000 fans -- and a slew of crude photo-shopped pictures and caricatures.
Among the dozens of pictures and drawings submitted to the Facebook page are depictions of a man in Arab garb engaged in sexual acts, blowing things up or portrayed as a pig, an animal considered unclean by Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj