US Coast Guard conducts training on Potomac on 9/11
Washington: The Coast Guard was conducting a training exercise in the Potomac River moments before President Barack Obama crossed a nearby bridge for a September 11 commemoration.
Coast Guard Chief Keith Moore said on Friday no shots were fired as part of the exercise, although media reports suggested shots had been fired in the river. News stations showed video of Coast Guard vessels in the water.
Departures from Reagan National Airport were halted shortly after 10 am as a precaution, Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Diane Spitaliere said. The airport borders the Potomac River near where shots were reported fired.
Obama had travelled to the Pentagon for a ceremony marking the eighth anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?