US concerned about Myanmar`s situation
Washington: The United States has expressed concern over the situation of the minorities in the violence hit areas of Myanmar and asked it to take appropriate steps to prevent any further violence in the country.
"We remain concerned about instances of mob violence and violence directed against religious and ethnic minorities in Burma, and we continue to call on the Government of Burma to take appropriate steps to prevent further outbreaks of violence, provide protection and support to victims of violence, and facilitate regular, unhindered and timely humanitarian access to all internally displaced persons and others in need," the State Department spokesperson, Patrick Ventrell, told reporters yesterday.
The United States is one of the few countries in the world which identifies Myanmar as Burma, even as the name was changed more than a decade ago.
United Kingdom is another country to do so.
"We have stressed to the government, religious leaders and representatives of civil society that respect for and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms, along with reintegration, redress and reconciliation, are the path forward to lasting peace in Burma," Ventrell said in response to a question.
The US would continue its engagement with authorities in Myanmar, he said.
"We also continue to urge the government to bring justice to affected communities, to address the root causes of this violence, and put in place mechanisms to prevent future outbreaks so that ethnic groups in Burma can coexist," he said.
The government of Myanmar, he said, is conducting an independent investigatory commission into violence in Rakhine state, and are going to have a report soon, he said.
When specifically asked if the United States believes that ethnic cleansing has happened in the Rakhin State, Ventrell said the US is closely monitoring the situation.
"We are aware of the reports. And the United States will continue to carefully monitor the situation and consider information as it becomes available. So we`re looking at the entire, broad body of information available and looking into any allegations when they arise," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!