US debt increases to $17 trillion
Washington: The public debt of United States has increased to a whopping USD 17 trillion after the Congress increase the debt ceiling this week.
The Department of Treasury, on yesterday, reported that the public debt stands at USD 17.076 trillion, an increase of USD 329 billion from the USD 6.747 trillion debt on Wednesday, when the Congress lifted the debt ceiling.
Under the bipartisan debt ceiling deal, the Treasury can borrow money necessary to meet the government expenses till February 7 next year.
During the Obama Administration, so far, USD 6.5 trillion has been added to the American debt.
"For the first time in our nation`s history, our national debt has topped USD 17 trillion. This is unacceptable," Republican Senator Ted Cruz tweeted after the Treasury released the latest figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical