US debt increases to $17 trillion
Washington: The public debt of United States has increased to a whopping USD 17 trillion after the Congress increase the debt ceiling this week.
The Department of Treasury, on yesterday, reported that the public debt stands at USD 17.076 trillion, an increase of USD 329 billion from the USD 6.747 trillion debt on Wednesday, when the Congress lifted the debt ceiling.
Under the bipartisan debt ceiling deal, the Treasury can borrow money necessary to meet the government expenses till February 7 next year.
During the Obama Administration, so far, USD 6.5 trillion has been added to the American debt.
"For the first time in our nation`s history, our national debt has topped USD 17 trillion. This is unacceptable," Republican Senator Ted Cruz tweeted after the Treasury released the latest figures.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Norway helicopter crash: All 13 people on board dead, 11 bodies recovered
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards