US debt increases to $17 trillion
Washington: The public debt of United States has increased to a whopping USD 17 trillion after the Congress increase the debt ceiling this week.
The Department of Treasury, on yesterday, reported that the public debt stands at USD 17.076 trillion, an increase of USD 329 billion from the USD 6.747 trillion debt on Wednesday, when the Congress lifted the debt ceiling.
Under the bipartisan debt ceiling deal, the Treasury can borrow money necessary to meet the government expenses till February 7 next year.
During the Obama Administration, so far, USD 6.5 trillion has been added to the American debt.
"For the first time in our nation`s history, our national debt has topped USD 17 trillion. This is unacceptable," Republican Senator Ted Cruz tweeted after the Treasury released the latest figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi