US debt increases to $17 trillion
Washington: The public debt of United States has increased to a whopping USD 17 trillion after the Congress increase the debt ceiling this week.
The Department of Treasury, on yesterday, reported that the public debt stands at USD 17.076 trillion, an increase of USD 329 billion from the USD 6.747 trillion debt on Wednesday, when the Congress lifted the debt ceiling.
Under the bipartisan debt ceiling deal, the Treasury can borrow money necessary to meet the government expenses till February 7 next year.
During the Obama Administration, so far, USD 6.5 trillion has been added to the American debt.
"For the first time in our nation`s history, our national debt has topped USD 17 trillion. This is unacceptable," Republican Senator Ted Cruz tweeted after the Treasury released the latest figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!