US deploys F-22s at base near Iran: Report
Washington: The United States’ most sophisticated stealth jet fighters have been deployed on an allied base less than 200 miles from Iran, according to a report.
According to a report by Aviation Week, multiple stealth F-22 Raptors, are in hangars at the United Arab Emirates` Al Dafra Air Base, which is close to Iran`s southern border.
The US Air Force, however, adamantly denied the jets` presence is a threat to Iran and stressed that the F-22s were simply taking part in a scheduled deployment.
“This is a very normal deployment to strengthen military relationships, promote sovereign and regional security, improve combined tactical air operations and enhance interoperability of forces,” ABC News quoted Air Force spokesperson Lt Col John Dorrian, as saying.
Dorrian declined to reveal the Raptors` mission in the region or how many planes had been deployed, but said that because of the F-22`s next-generation capabilities, any number of planes deployed to the region is ‘significant.’
According to the report, the new deployment comes in the midst of the Air Forces` continuing battle with a rare, but sustained oxygen problem plaguing the F-22.
Since 2008, nearly two dozen pilots have reported experiencing ‘hypoxia-like symptoms’ in mid-air.
Though the F-22 has been officially combat operational since December 2005, no planes from the Air Force fleet, which are made by defence contracting giant Lockheed Martin and cost an estimated USD 79 billion, have seen combat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre