US diocese sued after abuse accuser`s suicide
Pittsburgh (US): The estate of a man
allegedly abused by a priest in the 1980s is suing the Roman
Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh, alleging he committed suicide
this year after the diocese stopped paying for his mental
health treatments following two other suicide attempts.
Michael Unglo, 39, formerly of Etna in suburban
Pittsburgh, committed suicide in May at a centre in
Stockbridge, Massachusetts, according to a copy of the lawsuit
obtained by The Associated Press. He alleged he was molested
in the early 1980s while an altar boy, by a priest who was
convicted of molesting another boy and later resigned.
The diocese decided to stop paying for Unglo`s
treatment even though it was covered by the priest`s health
insurance and paid the priest an unspecified monthly stipend,
Alan Perer, attorney for Unglo`s estate, said today at a news
"There was money to fund a convicted, paedophile,
defrocked priest and yet not enough money to continue to
provide for the victim of that priest who ultimately killed
himself," Perer said.
The lawsuit alleges negligence by the diocese and
Bishop David Zubik and seeks USD 50,000 in damages for factors
including Unglo`s pain and suffering, his medical expenses,
his future lost income and his family`s loss of his
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory