US diocese sued after abuse accuser`s suicide
Pittsburgh (US): The estate of a man
allegedly abused by a priest in the 1980s is suing the Roman
Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh, alleging he committed suicide
this year after the diocese stopped paying for his mental
health treatments following two other suicide attempts.
Michael Unglo, 39, formerly of Etna in suburban
Pittsburgh, committed suicide in May at a centre in
Stockbridge, Massachusetts, according to a copy of the lawsuit
obtained by The Associated Press. He alleged he was molested
in the early 1980s while an altar boy, by a priest who was
convicted of molesting another boy and later resigned.
The diocese decided to stop paying for Unglo`s
treatment even though it was covered by the priest`s health
insurance and paid the priest an unspecified monthly stipend,
Alan Perer, attorney for Unglo`s estate, said today at a news
"There was money to fund a convicted, paedophile,
defrocked priest and yet not enough money to continue to
provide for the victim of that priest who ultimately killed
himself," Perer said.
The lawsuit alleges negligence by the diocese and
Bishop David Zubik and seeks USD 50,000 in damages for factors
including Unglo`s pain and suffering, his medical expenses,
his future lost income and his family`s loss of his
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'