US drone strike kills 3 in Pakistan`s tribal regio
Islamabad: At least three suspected militants were killed on Monday in a US drone strike in the lawless North Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan, security officials said.
The CIA-operated spy planes fired four missiles at a vehicle carrying militants, the security officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
Three suspected militants were killed instantly. The attack took place in Khaider Khel area of Mir Ali district, 30 km from Miranshah, the main town of North Waziristan Agency.
US and Afghan officials consider the area a stronghold of Taliban and Al Qaeda elements.
Local residents told the media that they had seen several drones flying over the area at the time of the strike.
The identity of those killed in the strike could not immediately be ascertained. The Al Qaeda-linked Haqqani network is active in North Waziristan Agency.
The US has been pressuring Pakistan to take action against the group, which was involved in attacking the American Embassy in Kabul in September last year.
Pakistan opposes the drone strikes, saying they are counter-productive, against international laws and a violation of its sovereignty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list