US general warns of al Qaeda as troops exit Iraq
Baghdad: The top American general in Iraq says al Qaeda and other insurgent groups might seek to strengthen their operations after American forces leave at the end of the year.
However, Gen Lloyd Austin also told reporters Monday he did not expect the security situation to completely disintegrate.
Warning of another challenge, Austin said Shiite militia groups that have mainly attacked American forces will pose a threat to the Iraqi government even after American troops are gone.
All American forces must be out of Iraq by the end of this year. Austin said there are just under 20,000 troops and eight American bases left in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- WhatsApp chat between Hrithik Roshan and his mother will give you fitness goals! View inside
- Producer's Guild hold emergency meet after 'Dishoom' leak threat
- REVEALED: Why Hindu families in Aligarh want to sell their houses, leave area
- We’re not broken, just bent and we can learn to love again!