US gunman had enough bullets to kill every student
Washington: Adam Lanza, the gunman in the Connecticut school shooting spree was carrying hundreds of rounds of ammunition to kill just about every student in the school, and he might have, if he hadn’t shot himself, police has said.
Lanza shot himself in the head just as he heard police drawing near to the classroom where he was killing helpless children, but he had more ammunition at the ready in the form of multiple, high-capacity clips each capable of holding 30 bullets.
According to the New York Daily News, the disclosure on Sunday sent chills throughout the community, as families sought to comfort each other during church services and vigils to the dead.
Authorities said they found multiple 30-round magazines and hundreds of unused bullets at the school, which enrolled about 670 students.
“There was a lot of ammo, a lot of clips,” state police Lt. Paul Vance said, adding: “Certainly a lot of lives were potentially saved.”
The chief medical examiner said the ammunition was the type designed to break up inside a victim’s body and inflict the maximum amount of damage, tearing apart bone and tissue.
Student Emilie Parker’s life was tragically cut short during the devastating Sandy Hook massacre, which claimed the lives of 28 individuals, the report said.
The father of the 6-year-old recalled his ‘bright, creative, very loving’ daughter at a news conference where he sent condolences to the family of the killer.
"I can`t imagine how hard this must be for them," Robbie Parker said, adding: "I`m not mad."
Governor Dannel Malloy said the shooter decided to kill himself when he heard police closing in about 10 minutes into the attack.
“We surmise that it was during the second classroom episode that he heard responders coming and apparently at that decided to take his own life,” Malloy said on ABC’s “This Week.”
Newtown officials couldn’t say whether Sandy Hook Elementary School, where the shooter killed 20 children and six adults, would ever reopen.
According to the report, 26 people, including 20 children, were killed by Lanza in a bloody Friday morning rampage at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?