`US gunman shot self, not hit by police`
New York: The US gunman who lured two firefighters to their deaths died of a self-inflicted shot to the head and wasn`t hit by return fire from a police officer, New York State Police said on Thursday.
Investigators still hadn`t made a positive identification of the body found in 62-year-old William Spengler`s burned house. They have said they believe the remains are those of his 67-year-old sister, Cheryl Spengler, who also lived there.
Spengler set his home and a car on fire before dawn on Christmas Eve, took up a sniper`s position and opened fire on the first firefighters to arrive, authorities said. He wounded two firefighters and a police officer.
Autopsies showed that volunteer firefighter Michael Chiapperini died of a single gunshot and Tomasz Kaczowka was killed by two, police said.
Trooper Mark O`Donnell said investigators weren`t releasing information about how Spengler got the military-style Bushmaster .223-caliber semiautomatic rifle, 12-gauge shotgun and .38-caliber revolver found with his body.
He said they`re still tracing the history of the guns.
Spengler spent 17 years in prison for killing his grandmother with a hammer in 1980 and was barred from possessing weapons as a convicted felon. Authorities said they had no encounters with him after he was released from prison.
After Monday`s attack, investigators found a typed letter laying out Spengler`s intention to destroy his neighbourhood and "do what I like doing best, killing people”.
The Spengler siblings had lived in the home with their mother, Arline Spengler, who died in October. In all, seven houses were destroyed by the flames on Monday.
Police Chief Gerald Pickering said police may never know Spengler`s motive.
The wounded firefighters, Joseph Hofstetter and Theodore Scardino, were upgraded on Wednesday to satisfactory condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured