`US gunman shot self, not hit by police`
New York: The US gunman who lured two firefighters to their deaths died of a self-inflicted shot to the head and wasn`t hit by return fire from a police officer, New York State Police said on Thursday.
Investigators still hadn`t made a positive identification of the body found in 62-year-old William Spengler`s burned house. They have said they believe the remains are those of his 67-year-old sister, Cheryl Spengler, who also lived there.
Spengler set his home and a car on fire before dawn on Christmas Eve, took up a sniper`s position and opened fire on the first firefighters to arrive, authorities said. He wounded two firefighters and a police officer.
Autopsies showed that volunteer firefighter Michael Chiapperini died of a single gunshot and Tomasz Kaczowka was killed by two, police said.
Trooper Mark O`Donnell said investigators weren`t releasing information about how Spengler got the military-style Bushmaster .223-caliber semiautomatic rifle, 12-gauge shotgun and .38-caliber revolver found with his body.
He said they`re still tracing the history of the guns.
Spengler spent 17 years in prison for killing his grandmother with a hammer in 1980 and was barred from possessing weapons as a convicted felon. Authorities said they had no encounters with him after he was released from prison.
After Monday`s attack, investigators found a typed letter laying out Spengler`s intention to destroy his neighbourhood and "do what I like doing best, killing people”.
The Spengler siblings had lived in the home with their mother, Arline Spengler, who died in October. In all, seven houses were destroyed by the flames on Monday.
Police Chief Gerald Pickering said police may never know Spengler`s motive.
The wounded firefighters, Joseph Hofstetter and Theodore Scardino, were upgraded on Wednesday to satisfactory condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS