US lawmakers ask NYC schools to recognise Diwali as holiday
Washington: Recognising the growing influence of the Indian community in the US, six top American lawmakers on Thursday asked the New York City schools to include Diwali in the list of public holidays.
Led by Congressman Joe Crowley, co-chair of the Congressional Caucus on India and Indian Americans, the lawmakers in a letter to the New York City Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina urge the Department of Education to include the festival of Diwali on the list of new public school holidays.
Congressmen Charles B Rangel, Grace Meng, Gregory W Meeks, Yvette D Clarke, and Carolyn B Maloney are other signatories to the letter.
"We appreciate your consideration of school holidays that reflect our diverse city and ensure that students aren`t forced to choose between attending school and observing important holidays with their families," the lawmakers said.
"For nearly a decade, Diwali has been gaining increased recognition throughout the United States. In fact, this year the Congressional Caucus on India and Indian-Americans celebrated the first-ever Congressional Diwali, and the White House has recognised the festival under successive administrations," the letter said.
"In New York City, Diwali is celebrated by countless residents, including Hindus, Jains and Sikhs," it said.
The majority of New York`s Indian-Americans, which include not only those of direct South Asian origin but also those of Indian-Caribbean heritage, consider Diwali amongst their most significant holidays, the letter said.
"Further, New York City is home to several dozen temples and gurdwaras, some of which are among the largest in our nation. The numerous Diwali celebrations in the city, such as the popular South Street Seaport event, is a testament to the recognition and popularity of Diwali, attracting thousands from in and around the area," the Congressmen wrote.
Crowley led his colleagues in creating the first-ever Congressional Diwali celebration in October 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22