US lawmakers call for stability in Egypt
Washington: Reacting to the turbulent situation in Egypt amid ouster of Mohamed Morsi, US lawmakers have called for stability in the African country, holding it crucial for America`s national security and the interests of its allies in the Middle East.
They also flayed Morsi, noting that the ousted President paid the price of not paying heed to people`s aspirations.
"It is unfortunate that Morsi did not heed popular demands for early elections after a year of his incompetent leadership and attempting a power grab for the Muslim Brotherhood. He was an obstacle to the Constitutional democracy most Egyptians wanted," Congressman Ed Royce said.
"I am hopeful his departure will reopen the path to a better future for Egypt, and I encourage the military and political parties to cooperate in peaceful establishment of democratic institutions and new elections that lead to an Egypt where minority rights are protected," Royce said.
Senator Robert Menendez, Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said called for reaching a political solution for the sake of the Egyptian people.
"Circumstances in Egypt are rapidly unfolding. During this period of upheaval it is critical that all parties exercise restraint that protests are peaceful, and that violence is rejected. Already too many lives have been lost during this period of unrest, including that of a US citizen," he said.
"It is imperative that a political solution be reached for the sake of the Egyptian people, and that the nation quickly returns to a democratic and peaceful path where the people`s voices are heard and respected," Menendez said.
The House Majority Leader, Eric Cantor praised the Egyptian military, describing it as a friend of the US, as he noted that the Egypt`s stability is tremendously important for America`s national security and for the security of our allies in the Middle East.
"The Egyptian military has long been a key partner of the US and a stabilising force in the region, and is perhaps the only trusted national institution in Egypt today.
In the difficult days ahead, it will be important for Egyptian authorities to safeguard the rights, interests, and security of all of Egypt`s citizens," Cantor said.
Charlotte Florance, from the Heritage Foundation, said democracy lovers need not shed many tears over the apparent coup, saying that Morsi was no defender of democratic rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in