US, Maldives conduct joint military exercises in Indian Ocean
Colombo: United States Marines and Maldivian National Defence Forces have begun joint military exercises in the Indian Ocean amid continued political turmoil in Male.
The two forces started their 10-day exercise on Thursday, a US embassy statement said yesterday.
It said `Coconut Grove 2012` was a bilateral, biannual exercise on the southernmost island of Gan.
"The exercise will focus on general military skills and enhancing interoperability between the two forces, and will help advance common regional security interests between the US and Maldives", the statement said.
The recurring, ongoing exercise will increase mutual understanding and enhance professional and amicable relations between the two militaries.
The 10-day exercise between 4-10 October will include several days of medical training and combat lifesaving techniques, as well as convoy operations and general military skills training.
The participating US units primarily come from I Marine Expeditionary Force, based in Camp Pendleton, California, with support from the Maritime Sealift Command.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan