US man indicted on 329 counts for kidnapping three women
Washington: A 52-year-old man in the US state of Ohio has been indicted on 329 counts for allegedly kidnapping, raping and holding captive three young women in his house for 10 years, authorities said.
The indictment charges Ariel Castro with 139 counts of rape, 177 counts of kidnapping, seven counts of gross sexual imposition, three counts of felonious assault and one count of possession of criminal tools, CNN quoted Cuyahoga county prosecutor Timothy McGinty as saying in a statement.
One charge accuses Castro of aggravated murder for purposely causing the unlawful termination of a pregnancy.
One of the young women was allegedly impregnated five times by Castro, and another bore a child fathered by him, police said.
The charges cover only half of the 10 years the three young women were held captive -- from August 2002 to February 2007.
The three women were freed last month after one shouted for help while Castro was gone from the house in Cleveland.
The prosecutor`s capital review committee will consider whether the case is appropriate for seeking the death penalty, CNN said.
The indictment alleges that Castro taped the legs and mouth of one woman, and also chained her to a pole in the basement with a motorcycle helmet placed on her head.
Castro also allegedly used a vacuum cord around her neck during a felonious assault and chained her to inside of a van, the indictment said.
He also allegedly used chains and tape in the basement to restrain another woman.
One of the victims was abducted at age 21 in August 2002; one at age 16 in April 2003 and who has a six-year-old daughter by Castro; and one at 14 when kidnapped in 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon