US man pleads not guilty in priest`s death
Phoenix: A homeless ex-convict has pleaded not guilty to charges that he beat a Catholic priest with a metal rod and fatally shot another clergyman during a burglary at a Phoenix church.
Gary Michael Moran was brought to court in a wheelchair today for his arraignment on charges that he badly beat the Rev Joseph Terra and fatally shot the Rev Kenneth Walker in the June 11 attack at the Mother of Mercy Mission.
Moran`s comments during the minutes-long hearing consisted of stating his name and age to Maricopa County Superior Court Commissioner Casey Newcomb.
He was arrested four days after the attack after police say his DNA matched forensic evidence collected from the scene.
Police say Moran had bragged about beating and robbing a priest and that a woman told them Moran had given her a bag that contained a camera belonging to one of the clergyman.
Authorities say Moran has acknowledged his involvement in the crime, though he initially didn`t remember what happened.
His next court appearance is scheduled for September 2.
Moran was sentenced to more than four years in prison after pleading guilty in 2001 to misconduct involving weapons. He also was convicted in two 1989 burglaries.
His attorney, Bobbi Falduto, did not immediately respond to a call today seeking comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!