US man pleads not guilty in priest`s death
Phoenix: A homeless ex-convict has pleaded not guilty to charges that he beat a Catholic priest with a metal rod and fatally shot another clergyman during a burglary at a Phoenix church.
Gary Michael Moran was brought to court in a wheelchair today for his arraignment on charges that he badly beat the Rev Joseph Terra and fatally shot the Rev Kenneth Walker in the June 11 attack at the Mother of Mercy Mission.
Moran`s comments during the minutes-long hearing consisted of stating his name and age to Maricopa County Superior Court Commissioner Casey Newcomb.
He was arrested four days after the attack after police say his DNA matched forensic evidence collected from the scene.
Police say Moran had bragged about beating and robbing a priest and that a woman told them Moran had given her a bag that contained a camera belonging to one of the clergyman.
Authorities say Moran has acknowledged his involvement in the crime, though he initially didn`t remember what happened.
His next court appearance is scheduled for September 2.
Moran was sentenced to more than four years in prison after pleading guilty in 2001 to misconduct involving weapons. He also was convicted in two 1989 burglaries.
His attorney, Bobbi Falduto, did not immediately respond to a call today seeking comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!