US man pleads not guilty in priest`s death
Phoenix: A homeless ex-convict has pleaded not guilty to charges that he beat a Catholic priest with a metal rod and fatally shot another clergyman during a burglary at a Phoenix church.
Gary Michael Moran was brought to court in a wheelchair today for his arraignment on charges that he badly beat the Rev Joseph Terra and fatally shot the Rev Kenneth Walker in the June 11 attack at the Mother of Mercy Mission.
Moran`s comments during the minutes-long hearing consisted of stating his name and age to Maricopa County Superior Court Commissioner Casey Newcomb.
He was arrested four days after the attack after police say his DNA matched forensic evidence collected from the scene.
Police say Moran had bragged about beating and robbing a priest and that a woman told them Moran had given her a bag that contained a camera belonging to one of the clergyman.
Authorities say Moran has acknowledged his involvement in the crime, though he initially didn`t remember what happened.
His next court appearance is scheduled for September 2.
Moran was sentenced to more than four years in prison after pleading guilty in 2001 to misconduct involving weapons. He also was convicted in two 1989 burglaries.
His attorney, Bobbi Falduto, did not immediately respond to a call today seeking comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi